Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil is the principal of Merlynn Acquisitions – a real estate investment and syndication firm. Merlynn Acquisitions’ primary focus is to provide risk-adjusted value-add and opportunistic real estate investment opportunities to professional athletes, business owners, and W-2 earners. Yannik is also the host of The Mogul Marathon Real Estate Podcast. His experience in commercial real estate began as an Asset Manager by trade for both retail and institutionally-capitalized real estate private equity firms, where was responsible for the strategic oversight of large multidisciplinary commercial real estate portfolios across the U.S. Prior to real estate, Yannik played Linebacker in the NFL, for the Tennessee Titans and retired in 2017. Since then, he has successfully transitioned into the world of commercial real estate, and believes that cashflow is the key to financial freedom.
We talked to Yannik about his investing journey after his career in NFL, his platform “Merlynn Acquisitions”, The Baltimore Market, and the keys to being a successful syndicator.
Midwest Real Estate Networking Summit: May 6 and 7 in Chicago. Tickets are available here, use promo code “podcast” to save on your ticket today!
[00:01] Opening Segment
- Yannik talks about his background;
- He talks about why he started investing after his career in NFL;
- How he educated himself to get into real estate
[06:25] NFL to Commercial Real Estate
- Finding a mentor;
- An impact on other players;
- Why he created his platform “Merlynn Acquisitions”;
- How Yannik found other athletes as investors;
- Understanding gatekeepers ~ Financial advisors;
- Educating your investors;
[17:44] Value-add & Opportunistic Deals
- Yannik talks about his podcast;
- Value-add & Opportunistic deals;
- What to look for as a new investor;
- The Baltimore Market;
- Keys to being a successful syndicator;
Announcement: Download Our Sample Deal and Join Our Mailing List
[30:30] Round of Insights
Apparent Failure: Having mental blocks
Digital Resource: Trello
Most Recommended Book: The Peebles Principle’s
Daily Habit: Following the right tasks
#1 Insight for Multifamily Investing: Have structures within your multifamily operations.
Best Place to Grab a Bite in Baltimore: Jerry’s
Thank you for joining us for another great episode! If you’re enjoying the show, please LEAVE A RATING OR REVIEW, and be sure to hit that subscribe button so you do not miss an episode.