Alvin “Hope” Johnson has an incredible story filled with lessons and insights that can inspire anyone to succeed. Over 35 years, he went from a handyman to a multifamily investor overseeing a $1.5 billion portfolio. Straight out of high school, he started out as a handyman and was then trained as a professional painter. As a painter, he hustled and began selling his services door to door. He was faced with objections and challenges and learned how to address customer issues by solving their underlying problems. He expanded his services to address the needs and issues of homeowners.
However, over 35 years, he faced challenges that tested his will and resolve. He lost all of the money he made and was emotionally crushed. At one point, he decided his life wasn’t worth living. Fortunately, Alvin managed to get out of that slump and found a purpose in the non-profit world. It was there that he forged a relationship that would change his life.
Alvin’s story is about hard work and perseverance. It’s a purpose rooted in spirituality to make an impact on his family and his community. In this episode, we talk about the strategies he employed to build those earlier businesses, how he managed to run a $1.5 billion dollar firm, investing in Texas, and best practices to build a following on Instagram.
Alvin serves as an inspiration to many and his incredible story highlights what it takes to succeed against insurmountable odds.
Partner: 1 Question Marketing Survey for New Event
Key Insights on Hope’s Journey from Handyman to $1.5 Billion Investor
- The incredible journey from handyman to building his real estate empire
- Growing your business by finding solutions for your clients
- How he used marketing to grow his business.
You get to a place in your business where you can’t afford not to advertise
- Making the transition into multifamily from doing single-family mortgages
- The Hope Housing Foundation
- Alvin’s journey in working as an intern for a year that catapulted and secured his success
In my 40s, I was willing to help someone else make their dream come true, so I could get what I needed.
- The importance of having a succession plan for your business
- The steps to take to start in real estate investing
You are going to pay for what you want, either with time or money.
- After a suicide attempt, Alvin pulled himself out of the lowest of lows to move forward
- Multifamily Monopoly a real estate investing bootcamp (alvinhopejohnson.com)
- How to build a strong following on Instagram
- How to get out of a self-sabotaging mindset
- How Alvin earned the nickname Hope
Partner: Download our Sample Deal Package
Most Recommended Book:
The One Minute Millionaire (Mark Victor Hansen)
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership (John C. Maxwell)
Wish I Knew When I Was Starting Out:
That I couldn’t fail.
Best Place to Grab a Bite in Dallas, TX